Friday, April 17, 2009

Were You There?

Currently Hearing: The Atonement by Shai Linne
Currently Reading: Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood edited by John Piper and Wayne Grudem
Currently Preparing For: A 10K on Sunday by the Annual Ban Ki Moon Marathon

It is so amazing and embarrassing to me that it wasn't until the past year or so that I realized that the whole story of the Bible/creation is about Jesus and his soul-saving work for his sheep.

What was I doing for 20-something years?
Does this seem problematic for anybody else?
What was I thinking? Has anyone else had a similar experience?
When I reflect on this, it sort of makes me short-circuit...
Sheesh...
Mmm - thank you Reformed theology

Slowly Being Conformed,
Brandon

3 comments:

Seth McBee said...

Hey Brandon...

I like your question, "geesh, what have I been doing for 20 something years?"

I have had the same experience within that past 3 years.

I always read the Bible of "be like David" or "Don't be like Nebuchadnezzar" then found out that the question is always, "How is Christ the greater David or greater Nebuchadnezzar?"

When I saw this and saw that everything in scripture is pointing to the redemptive work of Christ and the glory of the Trinity, it has changed my outlook on Jesus and my sin.

It is amazing to see the work of Christ when you think you have it all figured out...

I wonder what will happen when I look back in 5 years and see how stupid I was in the present?

Jesse said...

Don't read that book Brandon... I can see it now (dream sequence) : You and Dr. Daffe holding hands on the floor of the general assembly with home made t-shirts reading "the only reason a woman should be on a church stage is to play a piano".


I'm going with Marcion on this one the OT is useless...

Jesse said...

Stab away...

She goes on to say that one of the pursuits of the great emergence is to rewrite Christian theology. She goes on to talk about the reconsideration of substitutionary atonement and adds a foot note to that statement saying that Brian McLaren is the symbolic Martin Luther and that a generous orthodoxy is the 95 theses of the great emergence! I laughed out loud...