Monday, October 20, 2008

Don't Break Contract...

Currently Hearing: I'll Believe in Anything by Wolf Parade
Currently Reading: Freedom of the Will by Jonathan Edwards
Currently Drinking: Coffee out of a Boring Mug by the Cafeteria
Currently Wishing: There was a Hayride Tonight by My Sentimental Mind

Today is a melancholy day...
Nothing really happened to me to make me feel like it was going to be a quasi-crappy day - in fact, when I got to school, everything felt like it was going to be a good day...
However, that quickly changed out of the blue...
Everyone sort of seems to be walking around like zombies today...
So, I guess my brain and emotions figured they should feel the same way...
Last class, my kids were asking me what was wrong, and when I took prayer requests, one of the prayer requests was for me...
Haha...
I guess I am not acting that chipper today...

I kind of had a realization that I constantly think about only a handful of things...
Like, there are only 2 or 3 BIG ideas that consume my thoughts at a time, and I tend to devote my time and attention to them - I guess that is the curse of being an extreme person with an obsessive personality...

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I have waves of extreme contemplation/introspection (normally related to God and spirituality), and when I hit these moments, I just sort of feel introverted and like I want to be alone...
I am sure that has a lot to do with my mood today (being coupled with Fall is a double whammy)...

Anyways, on a more upbeat note, there is a volleyball game after school today, which should be fun to watch, and I will probably feel better after I work out tonight...
So, I will ride that natural high for as long as I can...

Here is a quote to jumpstart you brains - I read it in a Jewish rabbi's response to a letter written to him by an evangelical Christian...
Tell me what you think...
I don't even know what I think about it - well, at least not totally...
When I weigh in all the ideas about God's Sovereignty, it definitely makes me look at it from a totally different angle than I did a month ago when I wrote it down on a Post-It note and stuck it on my desk...

"The state of the world must prove that the Messiah has come; not a tract."
- Rabbi Richman

Yes, there is pain...
Yes, there is suffering...
Yes, there is extreme evil...
However, when we say that God is all-powerful and all-knowing, is it wrong to say that God is guiding history in such a way that ultimately brings glory to God's name?
Look at Scripture:

Psalm 135:6
Whatever the Lord pleases he does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps.

I can't deny that - if I do, I have elevated creation above the Creator, the clay above the Potter.

"Almighty God and Merciful Father, we praise you for your everlasting happiness in the fellowship of the Trinity; that you are an infinitely exuberant God; satisfied with the panorama of your own perfections reflected in the radiance of your Son. And we praise you that you are free and sovereign in your own self-sufficiency and cannot be bribed or coerced because of some deficiency or craving in your heart. We praise you that your plan and counsel is governed not by our will but by your good pleasure."
- John Piper

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed, yes, I guffawed about the fact that one of the prayer request in your class was for YOU! HAHAHA I am laughing all over again as I write that. You are so adorable to write that with such candor. Thanks for sharing your journey with the rest of us...Love, Mom

natalie said...

miss you.
sad about christmas
but we shall reunite one day.
please keep writing this wonderful blogs. i feel like we are having a chat in your living room while we pretend to study anthropology.
love you

Anonymous said...

Hmm..."The state of the world...., not a tract."
IMHO, he's only half right (nope, on second thought, can't even give him that much, maybe 20%.)
The evening news will never be a reflection of God's Glory.
The life of the person with the tract in their hand will.