Monday, September 29, 2008

The Best of Times, The Worst of Times...

Currently Hearing: Songs Will Write The Words by Twothirtyeight
Currently Hating: My Job by GVCS
Currently Confused By: Predestination by God?

Well, the day is over, and I am rejoicing - dinner will come shortly in the teacher cafeteria, and it means I don't have to spend money on dinner...
I wish I had a thought-provoking topic of conversation to spur a debate, but in order to make that happen, I need 2 things: a.) a thought-provoking topic and b.) adoring fans. I am still boggled over the concept of being a noted blogger, but I guess all I can do is persevere, because perseverance breeds hope...
Anyways, I have a poem that I read today that I would like to share with my faithful friends (especially Jesse)...

"Purring"
by Coleman Barks

The internet says science is not sure
how cats purr, probably
a vibration of the whole larynx,
unlike what we do when we talk.

Less likely, a blood vessel
moving across the chest wall.

As a child I tried to make every cat I met
purr. That was one of the early miracles,
the stroking to perfection.

Here is something I have never heard:
a feline purrs in two conditions,
when deeply content and when
mortally wounded, to calm themselves,
readying for the death-opening.

The low frequency evidently helps
to strengthen bones and heal
damaged organs.

Say poetry is a human purr,
vessel mooring in the chest,
a closed-mouthed refuge, the feel
of a glide through dying.

One winter morning on a sunny chair,
inside this only body,
a far-off inboard motorboat
sings the empty room, urrrrrrrhhhh
urrrrrrrhhhhh
urrrrrrrhhhh

2 comments:

Jesse said...

What a cat is thinking:

You *must* scratch me there!
Yes, above my tail!
Behold, elevator butt.

Cat's are just another reason why God is real... theres no doubt.

Bishop Timothy E Brown said...

Brandon,
My son. I adore this poem. It is so you. My, my, my. My heart hurt as I read that a kitty purrs to comfort itself as it has been hurt. I did not know that. Oh, the things I am burdened with as I read. purrrrrrrrrr Mom